Wednesday 11 June 2008

Artist profile - Teresa Bennett


Teresa Bennett - textile artist




My textile practice has been developed from a keen interest in knitting with further studies, to viewing textiles as a sculptural art form. In my final year at college, all my worked developed into on-off wall-hangings and sculpture. My end of year exhibition was very successful and encouraged me to further extend myself in this direction, culminating in winning the 2005 Old England Outdoor Sculpture Award with my piece ‘Woven Memories’, which hung in the Remembrance Garden at the Repatriation hospital.

I continue to explore the 3 dimensional through unique one-off scarves, wall-hanging and sculpture. Each adds to my knowledge of form, explores all sorts of materials, including recycled, nature and collected materials.

I want to show textiles in a non-traditional way, highlighting both skills and aesthetics. I want to create forms that make people look at things differently. My work cannot be done by machine as it develops its own life as it is created, show-casing the unique and beautiful nature of the hand-made.

No comments: